Monday 28 November 2011

Slightly Alive!

Honestly, I'm not dead yet!

Lately things have spiralled out of my control a little as my computer seemed to develop several nasty problems after a random crash.  Its meant no end of hassle for me as I use several tools to enable me to be able to use the computer at all with any degree of comfort.  Inevitably, these would be the settings I had forgotten to back up, so I've spent several weeks trying to fix things and recreate it all from scratch.  Annoying to say the least.

What this has taught me, or at least I hope it has taught me, is that I can't afford to forget to back up my settings!

There was something good to come out of all this tedium though.  Finally I was driven to overhaul my WoW UI as I have been planning to do for months.  Several years ago, I worked hard to plan exactly how I would like my UI to look.  In all this time, the actual layout of my UI has changed very little.  Addons have broken and been replaced and the aesthetic fluff has changed, but the bare bones and locations of each element of my UI has remained the same.  In my rush to get back from my unexpected absence from the raid team, I took a little look at some of the UI compilations that others have made and found something that made me smile.  Derevka from Tales of a Priest (on my blogroll still as he's returned to blogging - Hurrah!) uses almost the exact same layout as I do.  And I don't just mean a little similar; the position of every element of his UI was in the exact position that mine was! Fantastic!

In an ideal world, I'd have access to the same screen resolution too and just be able to copy things across, but I did have a few other things to take into account because of the ME/CFS that Derevka thankfully doesn't have to worry about.  I need to have a few more action bars showing as the "brain fog" descends at the most inopportune moments and I suddenly forget all my keybindings.  Being able to glance at them if that happens is a life saver (for my raid that is - I'm a healer).  I also exchanged a couple of addons for similar alternatives that I preferred, but that's just a preference thing.

So, what does World of Warcraft look like for Dwarf Wench?

No comments:

Post a Comment